Golden K Kiwanis
President Leland Roegner presided over the May 6 meeting of Golden K, attended by 29 members and two guests. Bob Gardner served as greeter and Laura Van Allen gave the invocation.
Lisa Mc Coy informed members about the annual Live United Food Drive, aimed at collecting food and non-food essentials for area food pantries. Mrs. Mc Coy will pick up donations from Golden K members on May 20.
Barb Mittman, a reading tutor at Nevada Elementary, described the Food For Thought program which will be conducted for children and youth ages 3 through 18, Mondays through Thursdays, from June 16-July 31, at Nevada Central Elementary. The sessions will run from 9:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. each day, providing lunch, snacks, and educational and recreational activities for about 300 area children.
A variety of learning opportunities will be provided to participants including activities focused on math, science, fine arts, literacy, fitness and hobbies. The activities will help young people maintain academic and fine arts skills, build their sense of community and promote fitness and recreational skills.
Mrs. Mittman provided a handout outlining the many volunteer positions which will need to be filled to ensure the success of the Food For Thought program. Anyone interested in volunteering can sign up on line or contact Barb Mittman at Central Elementary at 382-2383.
Golden K members signed up to work at the farmers’ market and Odyssey of the Mind fundraising events.
Bob Gardner won the 50/50 drawing.
Nevada Rotary Club met at the Indian Creek Country Club on May 7. We welcomed two guests from the Ames Noon Club, Ken Janssen and Bob Grathwohl. We were also happy to welcome several incoming Junior Rotarians! Reports were given from the Chamber, city of Nevada and Bernie Stephenson (on Honoring Our Teachers).
• Next week, a sign-up will be passed around to help with the Kiwanis/Rotary Teacher Appreciation Dessert event being held on June 9, from 11:30 a.m.– 1 p.m.
• The Nevada Citywide Garage Sale will be held Friday, June 6 and Saturday, June 7. Registration forms are due May 23.
• Medical Center Week is May 11 – 17th. Please honor Story County Medical employees, patients, residents and community at the Mix and Mingle on Thursday, May 15, from 5 – 7 pm.
• The LIVE UNITED FOOD Drive will be held from May 12 – May 21. Several locations around town will be accepting donated canned food.
Lloyd Brown and Rotary International recognized the following new member sponsors with a special pin & tag: Christian Clem, Kathy Strum, Jim Frevert, Laura West, Sara Clausen and Tiffany Wingert. Congratulations!
Our program was presented by Michelle Cassabaum and Ros Dunblazier, co-chairs of the District Conference held last weekend. Highlights included:
• ~20 Nevada Rotarians attended the All-Club Luncheon on Friday. Nevada Rotary was the leader in attendance this year! See picture.
• President Dan Johnson was awarded the Presidential Citation award “with Designation” and the award for meeting all strategic objectives! Congratulations!
• Mayor Ann Campbell was unable to speak at this year’s convention, but we were lucky to have our other mayor, Fred Hoiberg, join us.
• Michelle found a new role model in life, Vanna White. Just ask her.
• Our Youth Exchange group had a fabulous time dancing!
• Breakout sessions included Fundraising, Creating an Elevator Speech and Membership. Great ideas are coming to Nevada Rotary in all areas.
• Those in attendance felt it was a very empowering conference. Several speakers gave insight into our projects abroad - polio eradication, cleft palate surgery, Xicotepec, clean water and so many more. Our time, money and energy ARE making a difference in this world! We had three “First Time Attendees” this year and would love several more for next year!
Thirty-six members were present on May 6.
Judy Chance’s name was drawn and she donated to ELIMINATE. Next week is $5.
Fact of the Week: A polar bear’s hair is hollow and colorless.